Christmas gift ideas for relatives abroad
Christmas is a time for giving and sharing with those around us. But what about our nearest and dearest who aren’t just up the road? Those family members you can’t pop round to see and drop off presents because they live in another country. Don’t let them miss out on the festive cheer; it’s not their fault they’re not on your doorstep.
Thanks to the internet, a modern-day Father Christmas, it’s easy to send them a gift and let them know you’re thinking of them, wherever they are in the world. All that’s left to do is choose something you don’t have to take around the crowded shops to buy, wrap and post overseas.
Rather than sending your loved ones the obligatory pair of socks, jumper or box of smellies, try and be a little more imaginative. To give you a helping hand, here are some convenient gift ideas for overseas relatives this Christmas.
Gift ideas for expats
- Gift card – OK, this isn’t the most magical of pressies, but if you choose a gift card for something you know they like or will find practical, you’re on to a winner. So, what are the best gift cards to give? If we define “best” as most popular, the answer is: Amazon, Visa, iTunes, American Express, Starbucks and eBay – don’t worry, if one of those doesn’t cover it, you’ll find something for everyone if you look hard enough.
- Spa days and pamper packages – who doesn’t like relaxing and being pampered? Especially after all that Christmas excess. So, help them forget about all that festive food and drink they consumed over the holiday at an endless stream of parties, by letting them indulge in some much-needed R&R.
- Adventure experience – you could say gifting someone an adventure experience is giving them a gift for life, because of the amazing memories it will create. If they love the outdoors and getting active, they’ll love being given the chance to embrace their inner Bear Grylls. What you get them will depend on where they live or might be visiting soon. This could range from a bike tour or sightseeing walk to mountain trekking or whale watching.
- Food and Drink Experience – from bottomless brunches and wine tasting to cooking lessons and food tours, getting a gift that tantalises the taste buds will go down a treat. You know what they say: the way to someone’s heart is through their stomach.
- Christmas hamper – if you’re looking for gift ideas for expats, look no further than a Christmas hamper. You can even buy special ones filled with all those British favourites they probably can’t find on the shelves overseas.
- Subscription – a subscription to something worthwhile is the gift that keeps on giving. Whether it’s a wine club, a monthly magazine or a music streaming platform, a subscription’s for however long you want it to be, not just for Christmas.
- Cinema pass – this is the ultimate gift for lovers of the big screen. How often do we say: “I should go to the cinema more often?” Now the lucky recipient won’t have any excuse and they’ll thank you for it.
- The gift of money – some people are so hard to buy presents for. So, don’t get something that will only end up gathering dust at the back of a cupboard. Transfer some money into their account, so they can buy themselves whatever it is they really want. Problem solved!
Having decided on the perfect Christmas gifts for relatives abroad, all that’s left to do is buy them. If you’re sending the gift of money abroad, you’ll want to send it seamlessly and cost-effectively. Xendpay, the low-cost global money transfer service, offers customers fair, fast and safe payments with transparent exchange rates and same-day payments on selected currencies.
Xendpay have customers’ finances at heart, thanks to the cost-saving Pay What You Want product – offering a flexible model that allows individual customers to send up to £2000 (or the equivalent in their sending currency) annually without paying any Xendpay transfer fees. Happy holidays everyone!
From 4 – 17 December, Xendpay are donating a present to Evelina London Children’s Hospital for every 20 transactions made. Send money abroad with Xendpay before the 17th December and you’ll also be giving the gift of happiness to a child who has to spend the holiday season in hospital.